Spotlight on Omega 3
Tom Oliver’s omega 3 soft gels contain EPA, DHA, phospholipids and choline. Here we’ll outline how this supplement may benefit your physical and mental health.
The Benefits of Omega 3 Oils
The Omega 3 fats are essential fatty acids (EFAs). They are essential because our bodies cannot make them but need them to function, meaning we have to get them from our diet or from supplements. Fish oils contain the broken down forms of the omega 3 fats: EPA and DHA. Tom Oliver’s herring roe capsules contain a beneficial ratio of about 3:1 DHA to EPA. The omega 3 fats are responsible for numerous cellular functions, such as signalling, cell membrane fluidity, and structural maintenance. They also regulate the nervous system, blood pressure, glucose tolerance, and inflammatory processes.
Here’s what research has found about the benefits of fish oil supplementation:
- The omega 3 fats influence skeletal muscle metabolism during exercise and at rest. They have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity which may provide health benefits and performance improvement especially in those who do sport (1).
- People who do sport often experience Exercise-Induced Muscle Damage (EIMD) which results in muscle inflammation, strength loss and muscle soreness and may cause subsequent exercise avoidance. Omega-3 supplementation may minimise EIMD via its anti-inflammatory properties (2).
- Supplementing with fish oils has been shown to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol, as well as reducing related symptoms such as headaches and palpitations in adults with high blood pressure and high cholesterol (3).
- Whilst cholesterol is essential for normal brain development high cholesterol is associated with increased oxidative stress and the development of neurotoxicity and Alzheimer's disease. By reducing LDL cholesterol fish oils have been found to have a protective effect on the brain (4).
- Herring roe is rich in phospholipids which have been shown to improve glycaemic control and the plasma lipid profile of young adults (5).
- Omega 3 fats have been shown to significantly reduce pain in those with osteoarthritis in their joints (6). This may be because EPA and DHA help control inflammatory pathways (7).
The Benefits of Phospholipids
Phospholipids are an important component of cell membranes. Phospholipids allow molecules such as oxygen and nutrients to enter the cell, and aid the excretion of toxins from the cell. They are highly bioavailable and can increase the absorption and utilisation of other substances including omega 3 fats. Regular consumption of phospholipids is recommended for anyone wanting to protect the health of their brain and eyes.
The Benefits of Choline
Choline is a water soluble B vitamin. Along with the other B vitamins it supports energy, brain function, liver health and metabolism. Here are some findings about the benefits of choline:
- Choline is essential in the structural integrity of cell membranes and for the formation of phospholipids (8).
- Choline supplementation has been shown to normalise cholesterol metabolism and improve liver function (9).
- Recently, choline supplementation has been used by athletes, taekwondo and judo competitors and the general public for weight loss. Research backs up the helpful effects of choline in decreasing body weight in humans without negative side effects (10,11)
Omega 3 Fish Oils, Phospholipids and Choline may improve the following:
- Joint health and inflammatory conditions
- Exercise Induced Muscle Damage
- Cardiovascular health
- Brain health and cognitive function
- Eye health and vision
- Lung health
- Skin health
- Insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control
- Liver health
- Fat metabolism
- Weight management
The Herring Caviar extract in Tom Oliver’s Omega 3 supplement is derived from the roe of spring spawning herring caught off the west coast of Norway. The herring caviar is combined with fish oils from anchovies and sardines caught off the coast of Peru and Chile. The soft gel capsules, made from fish gelatin, provide phospholipids rich in DHA, EPA and choline.
We are committed to sourcing sustainable ingredients for our products. Our Omega 3 herring caviar oil is extracted from MSC-certified fisheries and is a Friends-of-the-Sea certified fish oil. Because the herring roe is extracted from fish stock already harvested, no extra emissions are caused by fleet operations, making it an environmentally friendly product.
Other supplements in the range that complement omega 3 oils include vitamin D with K2, zinc, curcumin and glucosamine.