Best multivitamins for men
Multivitamins are a great way for you to take care of your overall health. But as a man it might be confusing to understand just what is the best multivitamin for men?
In this article you will find out why there are different multivitamins for men and women, what to look out for when buying them and advice on the top 9 multivitamins on the market.
Needless to say, men and women’s bodies are different.
They have different needs and men require varying levels of nutrients compared to women. Consequently, different daily multivitamins are required.
Are multivitamins essential?
To put it simply, yes. Vitamins are a necessity and play a vital role in your overall health. They perform hundreds of roles in the body, from converting food into energy to supporting your immune system.
Not getting sufficient nutrients into your body can have a negative impact, and in severe circumstances can lead to serious health problems.
What vitamins should men take?
Before we go any further, it's probably best to know what common ingredients you’re likely to find in men’s multivitamins.
The following vitamins and minerals are common nutrients that men between the ages of 19 and 70 are likely to need:
- Vitamin A: Helps skin, eyes and the immune system.
- B vitamins: Helps maintains normal red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: Essential for the immune system, particularly after exercise. Helps, skin, bones and cartilage function, and supports physiological and nervous function.
- Vitamin D: Helps support bone and muscle function.
- Vitamin E: Helps reduce oxidative stress.
- Vitamin K: Vital for bone health and blood clotting.
- Calcium: Keeps bones and teeth healthy. Controls muscle function and function of digestive enzymes.
- Magnesium: Contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue and to normal protein synthesis.
- Selenium: Helps sperm development and thyroid gland.
- Zinc: Good for eye health. Can also help, hair, skin and nails.
Men are at lower risk of iron deficiency as they don’t lose blood monthly as menstruating women do. So the need for iron is lower.1 However, it's advisable to get iron through a healthy, balanced diet.
- Men’s multivitamins contain several vitamins and minerals that are essential for health
What vitamins help sexually?
If you are looking to improve your libido then it could be as simple as what nutrients you are getting.
Vitamins and minerals help with all bodily functions, including the reproductive system. Getting the right vitamins can support your general health, however, there is no firm evidence that specific vitamins can treat erectile dysfunction.
Are you getting enough?
Here we'll help you find out if you're getting enough of 3 essential vitamins.
The main source of vitamin D for humans is sunlight. You can get more vitamin D by regularly exposing your skin to the sun while using an SPF to protect the skin from UV damage.
It is also possible to get some vitamin D from foods, such as:
- Oily fish, such as salmon or sardines
- Egg yolk
- Portobello mushrooms
Vitamin B9 (also known as folate or folic acid) comes in two types – a synthetic form that is added to food products, and folate, which naturally occurs and easier for people to absorb.
Vitamin B9 can found in the following foods:
- Greens, such as spinach, kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli and asparagus
- Citrus fruits
- Beans, peas, lentils, and other legumes
Vitamin B3 (also known as niacin) helps to release the energy from the food you eat, it also supports nervous system function, fights fatigue and also helps support normal skin health4. These health benefits are obtained when the daily intake of this vitamins is at least 15% of the NRV.
- Wheat flour
- Brown rice
Is it good to take a multivitamin every day?
If you are looking to add more vitamins and minerals to your diet, then multivitamins are good way of ensuring that you get right the right daily dose.
However, the NHS says that you should be able to get enough nutrients from a healthy, well-balanced diet.5,6
What is the best multivitamin for men?
Now you know what you are looking out for, and what each vitamin and mineral can do for you. It's now time to find out which brand of multivitamin you will be best suited to.
The bottom line with men’s multivitamins
We hope this article helped you identify what you need and provided you with some of the best products for the job.
With numerous products on the market, choosing the ‘best’ supplement can be a difficult process.
The key is to consider your age, carefully assess gaps in your diet, and think about what is going to work best for you to achieve your health and lifestyle goals.
But most importantly, remember that whatever the potency of a supplement, it’s shouldn’t replace a healthy diet.